Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Monument


In London, there are some pretty cool monuments. One of them is cleverly named, The Monument. The Monument was dedicated to be a monument to the great fire. The great fire was in 1666, and it lasted for 3 days. There are only 6 deaths recorded, but it is known that many others died from indirect causes. It has 311 steps to the top.

You are able to climb to the top for a cost of 4 pounds for adults and 2 pounds for children. Last time we were in London, we did not climb The Monument. This time we decided that we would all climb The Monument. 

While we were there, we climbed all 311 steps. Once we got to the top, my mom and I had a little bit of vertigo. The staircase was a spiral staircase, so when you looked down you saw a HUGE drop. I put the picture on here so you can see just a little bit of the experience.

At the top, there is not a lot of space between the wall and the edge. As you can see, now there is a rail and netting. I really enjoyed this, but it is the kind of thing that you do once and then you're done. I would really suggest doing this.

Mom and Dad on top of The Monument.

Knox and I on top of The Monument, if you look closely in the background you can see the Tower Bridge.

The Monument from the bottom looking up.

Knox and me on the staircase up.

The spiral staircase looking down from the top of  The Monument.

4 comments:

  1. It was literally a Monumental experience, but I'm sure it was much more impressive when first built. Now it really just blends into the London skyline, though you can easily see how the top might have inspired the Harry Potter "goblet of fire."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was literally a Monumental experience, but I'm sure it was much more impressive when first built. Now it really just blends into the London skyline, though you can easily see how the top might have inspired the Harry Potter "goblet of fire."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool staircase! Not sure I'd have been able look down to take the same picture....I'd have felt like I was falling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating! I knew nothing about this. Good pictures!

    ReplyDelete